The Easy Guide to Being Grateful
Someone asked me recently how you can find hope when you’re at the bottom. How do you start the process of changing your life when you are as low as you’ve ever been? What’s the one thing you can do to start making that change? I believe it’s without question gratitude. Being thankful for the smallest things in your life. Even if it’s just food and water… start there. Start with being grateful for three things in your life. The changes will follow.
- Make a list of every single thing you can
possibly think of, that you are thankful for in this moment, on this day. List even the things you take for granted, like having a place to call home, heat and electricity, food to eat etc. List it all.
- Chose five items on your list you are the most grateful for, and repeat them over and over to yourself. Really think about each one.
- Visualize your life without each one of those things on your list. One at a
time. Picture your life without it. Then go back to your “grateful thoughts” about them. How did that make you feel? Do you legitimately feel grateful for them now
- Post your list where you can see it every day. Maybe on your bathroom mirror so you can read over it while getting ready in the morning.
- Come up with some mantras around your gratitude list that you can draw on anytime
your mind wants to go into “bitch mode”. For example one of mine is: “I am beautiful, I am healthy, I have more than enough to provide for my family.”
That mantra for me combats the topics I’d normally want to “bitch about” aka “I feel ugly” etc… gratitude mantras help keep you focused. Say them ten times over and over in your head whenever your thoughts start making a run for the quicksand. A good mantra will stop them in their tracks every time!
The purpose of gratitude is to make us aware and present in our lives. To teach us not to take anything
for granted. It’s so easy to get caught up in our daily life, and forget all the good things that are part of our
environment. Gratitude lets you reconnect with all of that, keeps you present in the moment and focused on your
goal. It is the first an most essential step in changing your life.